Stacyann Chin's Opening Ceremony by Yessica

Tuesday, December 14, 2010

"All Futile Requests:" A poem, by ALEXA

Background: I wrote this from the point of view of an closeted lesbian in her adolescence. She and her best friend fall in love, but that kind of love isn't supposed to exist at a high school in Georgia.


"All Futile Requests"

Don't perk at the sight of me

Don't look after me as I walk away

Don't jump at every chance to have me to yourself

Don't get lose yourself in my embrace

Don't let me so effortlessly become the center of your attention

Pretend I'm not always on your mind

Don't look so vain with me

And try not to stare

Let go of malice towards those who cause me pain

Don't ask me if I'm okay

Don't let my mood affect yours

Don't take everything I say to heart

Don't worry

Don't pry

Lose your faith in me

And take me off that goddamn pedestal

Don't let your eyes fall to my lips when I speak to you

Remember to breathe when our eyes meet

Don't let the slightest touch send your heart rate flying

Don't long for more

Don't smile at the thought of the last sweet thing I said to you

Forget what I told you yesterday

Only miss me in my absence

Put your guard back up

And let me down

hard

Don't need me

Don't love me

All futile requests, my love


No comments:

Post a Comment